Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Stern Gland Seal Leakage

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Stern Gland Seal Leakage

Post  John Moses on Mon 12 Apr 2010, 10:12

Does anyone have any guidelines forthe amount of leakage through the stern gland seal that would be deemed acceptable.
When moored there is no leakage whatsoever.
On a recent trip to Alrewas and back I collected about 2 litres.
New to narrowboating so any advice would be helpful.
Regards
John

John Moses

Back to top Go down

Re: Stern Gland Seal Leakage

Post  Grace & Favour on Mon 12 Apr 2010, 15:48

Hi John,

As I understand it - the best way of lubricating your stern gland is, at the end of a journey (when the stern gland & shaft are still warm from running) give the 'Greaser' a couple of turns clockwise (to inject grease into the gland bearing) - (If you've not done this before - it may well take more than a couple of turns) - at any rate - turn until you can feel resistance - and then another half turn.

Carry this out at the end of every journey day.

If you're still collecting water from the gland joint - then (depending upon the construction of your bearing) you may need to either tighten the joint (by compressing the gland nut) or maybe even replacing the gland material.

HTH

Grace & Favour

Back to top Go down

Stern Gland Leakage

Post  Cariad on Mon 12 Apr 2010, 16:52

The books mostly say there should be about 2 drips per minute - i aim for this but really dont check when she is running. When i stop for the day I check that this is about the drip rate, then I turn the greaser until the drips stop - i have done this through 40 years of boating and never had a problem!
Regards
Dennis

Cariad

Back to top Go down

Stern Gland Leakage

Post  John Moses on Mon 12 Apr 2010, 19:22

Thanks for the info.
Apparently "adjustment" is required.
I`ve been greasing as recommended but it still leaked.
Hopefully situation will be resolved shortly.
I`ll keep you informed.
Thanks for your replies.
Regards

John Moses

Back to top Go down

Stern Gland Adjustment

Post  Colin_Wilks on Tue 13 Apr 2010, 19:58

Hi John

We've had Tramper for about 18 months and the mysteries of the stern gland have revealed themselves to me over that time. I have come to the conclusion that trying to count the drips per minute is probably more exact than is really necessary. I have a bilge pump in the sump under the gland, which I guess you do too, and this spends its life in "auto" mode, but when running I tend to switch it over to manual every hour or so and observe how much water is thrown out. This shows me the pump is working and also teaches me how much water to expect to see normally.

When I adjust the gland, which I've only had to do twice in 600 hours running, I nip the nuts up one flat at a time until the drip slows appreciably. I reckon it's worse to risk overheating the propshaft and its packing than to have a bit of water sloshing around.

When I moor up for the night I leave it until everything has cooled down and then give half a turn on the greaser. I've found that ramming as much in as you can, particularly when the gland is still warm, only leads to excess grease clagging up the shaft inboard of the gland.

You might find this link useful: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Regards

Colin
nb Tramper

Colin_Wilks

Back to top Go down

Stern tube dripping

Post  Si&J on Sun 12 Dec 2010, 23:20

With any bearing, there are bound to be high spots on the prop shaft.

I usually grease the bearing at the end of the day's cruising because the bearing will be warmjavascript:emoticonp('Very Happy') and if the greaser is in the engine department that will of course be warm toojavascript:emoticonp('Very Happy')javascript:emoticonp('Very Happy')
with both bearing surfaces being relatively warm, the grease will flow into the bearing much more easily.As it all cools down the fresh grease will thicken up, and should stop any water getting past the bearingjavascript:emoticonp('Suspect')javascript:emoticonp('No')

It might be worth rotating the prop shaft by hand and find out where the least amount of leakage is.

You didn't mention how much distance there is between the flanged bits(the bit you tighten from time to time) if there is little or no gap between the flanges it will probably require re-packing with new packing material. Neutral

Si&j

Si&J

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top